Recent Posts

Dana White Says Nick Diaz is 'an Intriguing, Mysterious Character', UFC Primetime: Fan Reaction - UFC on Astini News

First, fight fans experienced four excellent fights on UFC on FX1 featuring Melvin Guillard vs. Jim Miller. Then, the UFC treated fans to an intimate 30 minute look inside the lives of Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit in part one of their "UFC Primetime: Diaz vs. Condit" on the FX channel.

Strikeforce Welterweight champion Nick Diaz prepares for his second title defense against former Chute Boxe fighter 'Cyborg' Santos at the Diaz vs. Cyborg weigh-ins January 28th, 2011 in San Jose, California.
Jon Swenson/InPhotography.com

During the UFC on FX1 fights, Ben Stone, a guy from my striking class tweeted, "great submission pulled out of nowhere, Miller is tougher then a 2 dollar steak".

Tougher than a two dollar steak is a great way to describe both Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit. For "UFC Primetime", both men placed their trust in the hands of the film editors, let down their guards and started talking.

Between the two men, Nick Diaz is the more enigmatic, harder to get to know fighter. Carlos Condit is an easy-going, good husband and dad, who shares his life with nothing to hide.

Nick Diaz

Nick does not like to meet—or pretend to be friendly with—the man he's going to face in the octagon. He doesn't understand why anyone would. Nick's camp believes that the fight starts when you sign on the dotted line. "If we're gonna be fighting, we ain't friends."

After watching a little bit of Nick sharing his experience of life, I started to like him. Usually, I just shake my head and wonder why he's acting "like that". But now, after a chance to see him in context and hear him explain his point of view, I feel privileged to connect with the side of him that he usually reserves for friends and family.

Listening to him tell the story of pulling the fire alarm when he was in second grade—and then hearing his second grade teacher describe him as a little boy is really compelling. If you haven't seen the "UFC Primetime" show yet, here it is on video

Elizabeth aka @FightGirlUFC: "Seriously when NickDiaz was talking about pulling the fire alarm in second grade, I was totally mesmerized. Primetime ufc"

@GrossiMMA said, "I truly believe Nick Diaz is misunderstood. He just doesn't like attention and has trouble collecting his thoughts. Not a bad dude."

Except for that unfortunate fire alarm incident.

On Twitter, Nate Ng said, "Nick Diaz did not mean to pull the fire alarm."

That's the standard answer for any second grader getting caught doing anything wrong. It's funny thinking about little Nicky about to make a wrong move—and hearing him tell the story of immediately getting busted for it.

Around five minutes of this video interview with Ariel Helwani, UFC President Dana White has a lot to say about Nick Diaz (almost three minutes of good conversation about how well Nick did on the "UFC Primetime" show).

Dana said that the show is filmed live and he's looking forward to the next installment. "I love the first episode. I'm curious to see what the fans think. I think this show was fascinating. I've been in this business since I was 19 and I've never come across an intriguing, mysterious character like Nick Diaz."

Carlos Condit

Carlos Condit is shown with his young son saying that having time to spend with his son is "…the most important thing to me…It's not always easy to train as hard as I need to train and then go home and take care of my responsibilities as a dad and a husband. It's a challenge, but it's the most fulfilling thing I've ever done in my life."

Condit trains at Jackson/Winkeljohn in New Mexico. To begin his fight career, Condit's dad says, "(Carlos) He really started at the bottom. There was no one that paved the way for him."

Condit said, "I've had nothing but love and support from my family no matter what I wanted to do…I love to fight. I'd do it for free, if I couldn't make a living at it."

Before finding mixed martial arts, Condit struggled. "I'm passionate about mixed martial arts. Doing this for a living is more than I could have ever dreamed."

Condit said that training in martial arts has taught him work ethic, respect integrity "…a lot of the things that traditional martial arts instill in you."

Coach Greg Jackson describes Condit as an incredibly gifted endurance athlete. "I think this fight is going to be a 25 minute, long drawn out war. That's what we're getting ready for."

GSP

Since GSP is out recovering from knee surgery, Condit and Diaz will fight for the Interim Welterweight title at UFC 143 on February 4th in Las Vegas. The fight between GSP and Diaz didn't happen. GSP has Diaz in his headlights.

In the previously mentioned video interview with Ariel Helwani, UFC President Dana White said, "GSP is texting me every day, sending pictures of him kicking, and saying, 'I am praying every night that Nick Diaz wins this fight'. I've never seen him so motivated to fight somebody, to beat somebody. GSP is ahead of schedule…being the freak of nature that he is. He may be back sooner than his doctor anticipated."

Source: UFC Primetime on FX: Diaz vs. Condit part 1

More from this contributor:

Armed Robbery Foiled by MMA Fighter in Chicago: Fan Reaction

HBO's 24/7 Pacquiao Vs. Marquez 3: Fan's View

On 'Haywire' Star Gina Carano, Ewan McGregor Says, 'There's Something Incredibly Dangerous and Powerful About Her'

Cyborg's Appeal, Twitter War with Rousey and Carano Wants a Superfight on UFC

On Conan, Gina Carano Asks 'Are We Talking About Sex or Fighting?'

Cheryl Ragsdale started out boxing and has added kicks and BJJ so she can practice MMA. She trains with Keith Florian and UFC Fighter Kenny Florian at Florian Martial Arts - follow @thatgirlisfunny

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.

What's on Your Mind...