Recent Posts

ORANGEBURG | Cordova resident supports Locks of Love to honor mother, niece | The Herald on Astini News

-- 

Cordova resident Andrew Rickenbaker has worn a ponytail ever since he was a little boy, but he was willing to part with it for a sixth time to support what he says is a worthy cause.

Rickenbaker had his long locks trimmed to support Locks of Love in honor of his beloved mother and niece, both named Carolyn, who died of cancer years ago.

A public, nonprofit organization created in 1997, Locks of Love uses donated hair to provide hairpieces to children under age 18 who are suffering from long-term medical hair loss.

"I want to make people aware of cancer and the fact that a little thing like giving your hair would help a lot," Rickenbaker said.

He is no stranger to the nonprofit organization's mission as he has had his hair cut a total of five times – for a total of 8.5 feet – for the group in memory of his loved ones.

"When my mama had cancer years ago, a lady approached me about giving my ponytail. I've always had a ponytail, but I told her I'd donate it. I've been doing it ever since," Rickenbaker said, noting that it generally takes his hair two and a half years to grow back out.

"One time I didn't donate for a long time. I didn't want to get rid of it, but this is for a good cause," he said. "My wife just had a sister die of cancer in July, and she's got a sister now with cancer."

Rickenbaker is indeed lovingly attached to his hair, even amid the taunts he sometimes receives for letting it grow so long. He said this year will, in fact, be the last time he donates his hair.

"I'm real particular about my hair, I really am. People pick at me all the time. They said I'm too old to have it so long," he said, laughing.

"If the good Lord lets me grow my ponytail back, I'm taking it to the grave."

He said he will, however, continue to participate in raising funds and awareness in the fight against cancer, including his family's participation in Relay for Life, the American Cancer Society's signature fundraising event. The Orangeburg County Relay for Life event began Friday evening and ended early this morning at the William J. Clark Middle School track.

"There are thousands of ways you can get involved. You can volunteer your time. And from now on, I'm going to do a lot more. I'm getting close to my retirement so I want to really get involved," Rickenbaker said.

The father of three said his 4-year-old grandson, Caleb, is already demonstrating a desire to participate in charitable giving.

"My grandson's already talking about it. He's talking to his grandmamma now about wanting to grow his hair in a ponytail," said Rickenbaker, who stressed that it's all about giving back.

"That's all I care about," he said. "I just want people to help."

What's on Your Mind...